There’s nothing like a hearty soup in winter to warm up. Try this delicious Gumbo recipe, it’s one of our favourites!
1-2 tsp Sweet paprika
½ tsp Cumin seeds, ground
1 tsp Coriander seeds, ground
400 grams Free range chicken thigh, diced
60 grams Onion, diced
60 grams Carrot, diced
60 grams Celery, diced
1 clove Garlic, crushed,
60grams Red capsicum, diced
70 grams Chorizo sausage, sliced
1-2 tbsp Tomato paste, sugar free
700ml Chicken Stock
1 tin of Tomatoes
2-4 tsps Brown sugar
Hot Chilli powder to taste
40grams Frozen corn
½ - ¾ cup Rice, cooked
½ - 1 tbsp Cornflour
Salt and pepper
Fresh Coriander, chopped
1. Toss chicken with salt, paprika, ground cumin & coriander. Fry in an oiled pan over medium heat until half cooked.
2. Add onions, carrot & celery and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add garlic, tomato paste, chorizo and capsicum. Cook for a few more minutes.
3. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, brown sugar, chilli powder & corn. Bring to boil.
5. Simmer until soup is flavourful and vegetables and meat are cooked through. Add rice to warm through.
6. Thicken soup slightly with cornflour(mixed with equal quantities of water) if needed.
7. Check seasoning, Serve topped with fresh coriander and a squeeze of lemon juice.